How to build and Launch a Chatbot In Hours
Based on "How I Built and Launched My First Chatbot In Hours" by Max Pelzner.
In an effort to create a novel experience and quicker way for someone to find and book studio time, I had the idea to create a chatbot.
Here are my two main benefits for having a chatbot:
- Conversational: Sometimes a native app isn’t optimal for creating a conversation with users. Multiple data points, inputs, and use cases can be distilled down into a user friendly conversation.
- Simplicity: A bot offers the most immediate and direct solution to a person’s problem or question.
Define Chatbot Objectives
- Drive traffic and awareness to website
- Build a CRM channel through Messenger
- Gather feedback from studios and loyal fans
- Build a novel experience through Messenger
- Create an easier way to find music studios and book studio time
Define Chatbot Domain
Can the chatbot find any type of music studio and also any location in the world? Or just music studios in the United States? Or only music studios in Los Angeles?
How deep is the knowledge?
Will the chatbot know of every music studio that’s on the site? Or just the Top Line music studios? Will it share high quality photos of the studio if someone wants to see more photos?
Decide when to use Rails vs NLP
Content → Option A B or C → Content → Option A B or C
NLP (Natural Language Processing) is when the bot analyzes free text input to determine intent, and then delivers the relevant content or action.“
- Intent to book studio time
- The music studio is Electric Feel Studios
- The location of the studio is in Los Angeles, CA
Map out Conversation Flow
Outline Bot Structure
- Small talk answers
- Keyword responses
Define Content Sources
Bot Rollout, Live Testing, and Iteration
- To get early feedback from others who have launched chatbots before, I posted in 20 Facebook Groups focused on the Chatbot community. (Official Messenger Platform Developers Group, Bots, UX for Bots, etc) .
- While posting in some groups, I found out that my chatbot was going to be live-tested on the Lets Bot! Facebook Live show by Matt Schlicht (Chatbots Magazine).
Launch Day Promotion
- The next morning I submitted to Product Hunt, Botlist, BotArena, and BotPages.
- I posted in 30+ Facebook Groups focused on the tech community and music industry. More messages started coming in...
- I also sent emails to the sites who covered our initial Studiotime launch including: The FADER, Hypebeast/Hypetrak, FACT, etc
Analyze the stats
⭐️ Featured on Botlist Homepage
Botlist has driven over 1,000 new messages a day since launching and being featured on their homepage.⭐️ Featured on BotArena Homepage ⭐️ Named VentureBeat’s 100 people to watch in the chatbot space
Here are my suggestions for where to go to learn more about chatbots :