Get free traffic from communities
The Internet has a myriad of themed communities, which are useful for getting free traffic for your startup.
We are going to share our personal experience on how we’ve built traffic to our products. In this guide we will take a look at the following communities:
- FB groups and pages
- Hacker news
Learn general rules
- Don't Be Pushy. Your ultimate goal is to attract traffic but you have to be patient. First you have to earn your trust stripes, since you're account is relatively young and you lack authority and experience in the eyes of others. Get your name out there and bring in value prior to pitching your product.
- Social Investment comes first. Become an active member of the community. Don't try to promote your startup straight away. Most likely you will get banned and it will be quite hard to get rid of this ban. Invest some time into the community by contributing valuable content and developing your relationship with other users. And only afterward it’s worth attempting a soft pitch of your startup. Value comes first. Self-promotion is secondary.
1 Create and develop your account on Reddit
Reddit might get you tons of traffic just like in the following video:Tip: there is a "gray market" where you can buy well-established accounts.
Use Fiverr or Peopleperhour to scout for offers.
Choose the subreddits where you can post
Also, don't miss out on the following communities such as Entrepreneur or Marketing
Prepare your posts:
Write your posts and try to get to the top
There is a high probability that you’ll want to try spending some cash to boost your posts, but there is little chance that it’ll work.It’s better to keep the focus on the content. Engaging relevant content is your key to winning shares and traffic, not only on Reddit.
2 Create your Quora account and get to know the community
Here’s how it can benefit your startup: find questions relevant to your niche, offer solutions, leverage your brand. You have to be careful on how you answer the question. You have to clearly indicate that you are not biased because you are showcasing YOUR product and the answer must be very informative, rather than just being promotional. Quora is incredibly harsh on people who want to use it as another self-promotion platform. Hence, you have to be very careful and make sure that your content adds value.
Identify the topics that are relevant to your startup
Collect the questions that are relevant to you
Apart from mentioning the product name, you can also post links to your blog (your company blog that is). But always remember that your answers have to be informative, NOT promotional.
Tip: Google likes Quora because it provides quality content. Some questions constantly make it to the top of relevant google search results. So if you make it to the top, you’ll receive a constant stream of free traffic to your website.
Get your answers ready
Use visuals: screenshots, videos, pics.
This helps readers to digest the information better.
Tip 1. Quora algorithm is very complex. Just shooting for upvotes won’t get you to the top.
Ranking factors include all sorts of things: your reputation, how many followers you have, etc.
Tip 2. Create an “answer wiki” and edit it.
Wiki is a short preview of all answers for the question. Not all questions need an “answer wiki”. But if the question is asking for specific products and/or for their alternatives, this is a very good example where you can create an “answer wiki”.
Other methods of promotion
Also, you can use Quora as a networking platform. Quora is not as official as Linkedin — you’ll have a much better chance to establish a connection here, then on Linkedin.
3 Register and start developing your account on HackerNews
Share your startup in a “Show” section
Monitor this section and be prepared to answer questions that users might have about your company/products.
Think what you can write on Hackernews
- Be relevant.
- Timing is important
- Have a catchy title.
Publish and monitor
4 Research relevant Facebook Groups
Find the groups
Join the groups
Check for additional prospects
# 5 Search For Other Relevant Communities
Create a content plan
#6 Register on StackOverflow
Learn where you can add your answer
Explore other potential benefits
To sum up:
- Start working with these communities as early as possible. Even if you don't have the product yet, you can already answer lot's of questions and post valuable content, say from your blog.
- Don't try to "rig" the game - it's not gonna pay off.
- Experiment with different content formats (posts, how-to guides, infographics).
P.S. We would also recommend you checking out "How to get Free Press Coverage for Your Startup" guide. So you can generate the maximum "buzz" on the internet for your product.